Applications are due October 16th at 9:00 pm.
There are three parts to the AdClass application.
*The first part of the application is a Google Form. Parts 2 and 3 should be uploaded to Dropbox – instructions for uploading are at the bottom of this page.
- The Google Form – provides us with an overview of you and your skills.
- The Required Challenges: You must do the first two of these (1/2 page letter of interest and post-secret execution), described below. The portfolio submission and letter(s) of recommendation are optional.
- 1/2 Page Letter of Interest: Describe both how you could help AdClass, as well as how you hope to benefit from it. If you have other valuable skills/knowledge bases that were not assessed in the above questionnaire or that need more explanation than simply a line on a resume, this is the place to include them. This includes other classes you may have taken that were not included on the earlier checklist.
- Post-Secret Execution: Execution similar to www.postsecret.com. Choose one of two topic: 1) A good reason to remember you or 2) Why you’d be good in the class.
- Portfolio Submission (Optional): Examples of portfolio work i.e. you had a digital internship this summer and worked on a website, examples of art, screenshots. If you have a website, give a couple screenshots and a link. T-Shirt designs, etc.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (Optional) from AdClass alumni – please ask the alum to upload recommendation to dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/request/eU2Fwakcg60ITnrzrPtA) under the format of lastnamefirstname_Recommendation. The last name and first name are the last name and first name of the student applying (not the alum).
3. The Skills challenges: Please select at least two of the skills challenges and execute them.
You’re the Consultant:
Wheaties is one of the most celebrated and successful cereal brands in history. Colloquially, it is known as the “Breakfast of Champions.” However, the cereal market has seen declining sales year after year, a slide that has affected Wheaties.
Wheaties has retained your firm, Generals Consulting, to turn their brand around. Specifically, Wheaties wants you to formulate an initial brand strategy to successfully target millennial consumers. In the past, Wheaties has hired other consulting firms for this same task, but none of the strategies have been able to turn around their declining sales. Generals Consulting is known for thinking outside of the box and offering unique, creative solutions for clients. Wheaties has hired you to create one such solution for its brand.
You are not developing a full marketing plan. Your research should focus on a.) understanding the particular industry/category b.) understanding the target consumer’s needs and interests and c.) synthesizing these understandings in order to find a strategic position for Wheaties in the market. Please consolidate your findings and recommendations a stand-alone slide deck (6-10 slides).
Feel free to appropriately reference data and reports or use the services provided by the Williams School CommCenter. Please do not seek help from other students or Professors.
When you are finished,
- Please combine what you did in Parts 2 & 3 into a single PDF. You can take photos of images (like your Postsecret, for example) and insert them into a PowerPoint or a Word doc (or other), and copy & paste any text into the same document, etc.
- Be sure all of these elements are in order & labeled (“Skills Challenge: Sherlock”).
- Save the whole document as <lastname_firstname.PDF> So for example, Prof Bower’s application would be Bower_Amanda.pdf.
- Upload that PDF to https://www.dropbox.com/request/eU2Fwakcg60ITnrzrPtA
- Please upload your resume to the dropbox as a separate PDF named <lastnamefirstname_Resume.PDF>.
- If you have other PDFs from that you’d like to share with us, please re-name that file w/ your name and some indication of what the file is about. For example, if the document is something from a summer internship, you’d rename it as Bower_AmandaArtPortfolio.pdf . If there’s anything else you want to submit that’s not PDF-able, feel free to let us know, or drop it off outside of Prof. Bower’s office when you submit your application.
For all of you people abroad, you can still apply! Just make sure to have your application submitted by October 16th at 9:00 PM EST.